Skip to main content

Building Complete!

Its been a while since my last update. I have been sharing small feats on our instagram page (@thatsso70sblog) so this post will be a wrap up of the last several months as we have completed the building phase of the reno.
We finished the electrical work; adding brand new lighting in the living spaces, changes to the lighting plan for the new kitchen layout, adjust everything that comes with those changes and personalizing our electrical needs for the spaces we are planning.
We have also framed in the steel beam, created the new pantry, and edited the utility closet.

In May we demoed the remaining kitchen and have been living with a make shift sink, oven in the middle of the dining room and only having a folding table for counter-space. Its been....interesting....


Following this we had to rip out a thin layer of plywood and 3 layers of linoleum from the kitchen/back entry. This job, this job was definitely the most grueling/physically demanding. I would happily take scraping popcorn ceiling over prying off flooring any day.
They added in the extra layer of plywood to level out the flooring as the rest of the house was carpeted. Then over the years when they were wanting to change flooring, they just installed new linoleum on-top of the old.


We then removed the window in the what I'm guessing was the casual dining space so we could frame in the new pantry.





We have since moved our dining room/"kitchen" into the basement, disconnected the sink and stove, and moved the fridge off the wall so the drywall could be hung. I would say this step has been the hardest as we cannot cook for the days the drywaller's are working.
Currently the timeline is to install the kitchen cabinets the weekend of July 20th as we are scheduled to have the counter-tops installed on the 24th.
Fingers crossed everyone that we can stick to this timeline, as I would very much like to have a functioning kitchen by the end of the month.

At this time I would like to shout off the rooftops a GIGANTIC thank you to my father-in-law. He has been coming over basically every weekend, working all day with Darrel to have our house at the state it is in. We literally could not have been able to be at this stage at this time without your hard work and help. So, again thank you 💗

Lauren xox








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Reveal

ITS HERE! I have finally gotten to a place with our master bedroom where I can show you some reveal photos and information. Our bedroom is not done yet in my eye, I would like to add in some more decorative accents for sure. Decorate the dresser properly, switch out the night stands at some point etc. But as goes with design its ever evolving, changing, editing and fine tuning. I am so happy how it turned out. When I was designing this space in the beginning I really didn't have a strong vision of what I wanted the room to look like. I just knew how I wanted it to feel, and from there it just came together. I wanted the bedroom to feel calming, cool, yet cozy. I have a hard time sleeping so I do as much as I can to help myself sleep easier. You can read all about the finishes chosen in this previous post. I share everything from paint colour, light fixture, flooring etc. Can we all take a moment of silence for this BEAUTIFUL mirror/art piece. I was luckily enough to...

Master Bedroom Drama

We were very fortunate to have very minor issues during the first phase of our renovation. You hearing many horror stories of things going wrong and money hemorrhaging that I'm happy that things went smoothly. Not to say we didn't have our fair share of anxiety (me), fighting and minor set backs. First minor issue was, as expected the master front window was rotting. We knew something was wrong as the previously existing drywall had a poorly patched crack from floor to ceiling and as we tore out the carpet the subfloor was discoloured. My father in-law removed the rotten wood and stucco backing, and cut away any other surrounding soft wood. He then cleaned the area with bleach and water mixture and allowed it to dry. He replaced the missing studs with new 2x4s and reinforced other areas with more cuts for strength. We replaced all the original poly with thicker newer product and cut away excess insulation. Our home is a 2x4 frame so we hoped the thicker poly would help the h...

Master Bath Finishes

Today I am talking all about finishes, what we (me) chose for the master bath reno. This includes everything from paint, tile, lighting, doors and hardware, and bath fixtures. Paint In the bathroom I chose Benjamin Moore's Intense White (OC-51). As I mentioned earlier it was really important for me to keep the bathroom light and as bright as possible since there is no natural light. When you are in the shower or getting ready early morning in the dead of winter when the sun has not come out, you really want to be able to see what you are doing. To accomplish this I chose an off white colour with grey tones to coordinate with the grey undertone of the vanity wood stain, grey colouring in the floor and the marble hex shower tile. The doors and trim colour is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (OC-65) . Tile We purchased our tile from Tile Stone Source ; Snow An was our sale representative. Bathroom Floor: 12X24" matte porcelain tile in Aura Frost Shower Floor: 2"...