Skip to main content

PROGRESS!

As of a couple of weeks ago progress as finally been made with our main floor renovation. After waiting 2 long months for the city to approve the permit for the structural walls removal, our contractor started work in the basement for the new footings. These concrete footings will support the load from the steel beams that will replace the current walls. Step one was to cut open the concrete and dig a larger and deeper hole for the new footings. This made a HUGE mess. SO. MUCH. DUST.
Lesson learned, do not assume they will tarp off areas of your living space. ASSUME NOTHING.


Step two is to fill these new holes with concrete and wait for it to set. In the mean time we demo'd more of the main floor/kitchen area in preparation for wall removal. All of the drywall, electrical and some plumbing had to be removed. Along with some kitchen cabinets. Note, our oven is currently in the middle of our dining room.
 

This week they are putting up the temporary walls followed by steel beam installation. Before the end of the week we will finally have the open floor plan we desire. Stay tuned!

Lauren xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Reveal

ITS HERE! I have finally gotten to a place with our master bedroom where I can show you some reveal photos and information. Our bedroom is not done yet in my eye, I would like to add in some more decorative accents for sure. Decorate the dresser properly, switch out the night stands at some point etc. But as goes with design its ever evolving, changing, editing and fine tuning. I am so happy how it turned out. When I was designing this space in the beginning I really didn't have a strong vision of what I wanted the room to look like. I just knew how I wanted it to feel, and from there it just came together. I wanted the bedroom to feel calming, cool, yet cozy. I have a hard time sleeping so I do as much as I can to help myself sleep easier. You can read all about the finishes chosen in this previous post. I share everything from paint colour, light fixture, flooring etc. Can we all take a moment of silence for this BEAUTIFUL mirror/art piece. I was luckily enough to...

Master Bedroom Drama

We were very fortunate to have very minor issues during the first phase of our renovation. You hearing many horror stories of things going wrong and money hemorrhaging that I'm happy that things went smoothly. Not to say we didn't have our fair share of anxiety (me), fighting and minor set backs. First minor issue was, as expected the master front window was rotting. We knew something was wrong as the previously existing drywall had a poorly patched crack from floor to ceiling and as we tore out the carpet the subfloor was discoloured. My father in-law removed the rotten wood and stucco backing, and cut away any other surrounding soft wood. He then cleaned the area with bleach and water mixture and allowed it to dry. He replaced the missing studs with new 2x4s and reinforced other areas with more cuts for strength. We replaced all the original poly with thicker newer product and cut away excess insulation. Our home is a 2x4 frame so we hoped the thicker poly would help the h...

Master Bath Finishes

Today I am talking all about finishes, what we (me) chose for the master bath reno. This includes everything from paint, tile, lighting, doors and hardware, and bath fixtures. Paint In the bathroom I chose Benjamin Moore's Intense White (OC-51). As I mentioned earlier it was really important for me to keep the bathroom light and as bright as possible since there is no natural light. When you are in the shower or getting ready early morning in the dead of winter when the sun has not come out, you really want to be able to see what you are doing. To accomplish this I chose an off white colour with grey tones to coordinate with the grey undertone of the vanity wood stain, grey colouring in the floor and the marble hex shower tile. The doors and trim colour is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (OC-65) . Tile We purchased our tile from Tile Stone Source ; Snow An was our sale representative. Bathroom Floor: 12X24" matte porcelain tile in Aura Frost Shower Floor: 2"...