Skip to main content

Master/En-suite Before

So this set up is kind of confusing. I am playing catch up right now trying to show our projects real time. Currently the master suite is complete but I will be sharing the process in a few different posts.
I previously wrote about my inspiration for the master which you can read here https://thatsso70s.blogspot.com/2018/10/master-suite-inspiration.html. I will now show some before pictures of the project as and talk about the original plan. Because I suck I didn't really take any before or many during pictures which I now regret. So in future, note to self, document more!
Here are the pictures of the space from the reality listing which my real-estate agent kindly sent to me. Thanks Michael!
 
 


The first picture is the 4th bedroom that was next door to the master. This room was quite small and could realistically only hold a twin bed pushed into the corner and a small dresser. We decided to knock down the wall between the two rooms and use this space for additional into in the master. The next two photos are of the master bedroom and it was a narrower bedroom. Once we moved in and put the bedroom furniture in, it was quite clear more space was needed. We could only fir the queen bed on one wall with the night stands. The dresser would not fit. And seeing as the original closet would be used for the larger en-suite, it made sense to eat up the smaller bedroom.
The bathroom in the last picture was, I think, gross. It had carpet. CARPET! That to me is so so disgusting. We had all the carpets cleaned before we moved in but I still refused to use the bathroom prior to demolition. As we tore out the carpet we found there was previous brown shag carpet. THEY REPLACED CARPET WITH CARPET! Why? I guess it was the thing to do, but gross. This space was also very small for us as the bathtub/shower was squashed beside the toilet which was stuck beside the sink. Only one person could fit in at one time and make it difficult for drying off post shower and getting ready for work in the mornings. I was so anxious to start this project and am so happy how it turned out.


Lauren xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Reveal

ITS HERE! I have finally gotten to a place with our master bedroom where I can show you some reveal photos and information. Our bedroom is not done yet in my eye, I would like to add in some more decorative accents for sure. Decorate the dresser properly, switch out the night stands at some point etc. But as goes with design its ever evolving, changing, editing and fine tuning. I am so happy how it turned out. When I was designing this space in the beginning I really didn't have a strong vision of what I wanted the room to look like. I just knew how I wanted it to feel, and from there it just came together. I wanted the bedroom to feel calming, cool, yet cozy. I have a hard time sleeping so I do as much as I can to help myself sleep easier. You can read all about the finishes chosen in this previous post. I share everything from paint colour, light fixture, flooring etc. Can we all take a moment of silence for this BEAUTIFUL mirror/art piece. I was luckily enough to...

Master Bedroom Drama

We were very fortunate to have very minor issues during the first phase of our renovation. You hearing many horror stories of things going wrong and money hemorrhaging that I'm happy that things went smoothly. Not to say we didn't have our fair share of anxiety (me), fighting and minor set backs. First minor issue was, as expected the master front window was rotting. We knew something was wrong as the previously existing drywall had a poorly patched crack from floor to ceiling and as we tore out the carpet the subfloor was discoloured. My father in-law removed the rotten wood and stucco backing, and cut away any other surrounding soft wood. He then cleaned the area with bleach and water mixture and allowed it to dry. He replaced the missing studs with new 2x4s and reinforced other areas with more cuts for strength. We replaced all the original poly with thicker newer product and cut away excess insulation. Our home is a 2x4 frame so we hoped the thicker poly would help the h...

Stairs

When we moved into the house I knew I wanted to change a lot of things. The change I felt like would make a big statem would be the stair railing. Stairs can make a big statement on a homes appearance and can be a big focal point. The original railing was very dated, not the look I was going for and not super sturdy feeling. I'm sure it was structurally sound but because it was iron and all welded into one piece, you could shake it and the entire thing would wobble. If I had all of the money I would have LOVED to have a matte black iron railing but the quote I received was wayyyy out of my comfort zone, especially for something that would not add value to the home. We hoped we could DIY this project to save a good chunk of money, but the logistics of a stair railing especially with the eastern style stairs we have with the turn and drop we did not feel comfortable when it is just a big safety feature. I contacted several companies in Edmonton and went with Artis...