Skip to main content

Master Bedroom Drama

We were very fortunate to have very minor issues during the first phase of our renovation. You hearing many horror stories of things going wrong and money hemorrhaging that I'm happy that things went smoothly. Not to say we didn't have our fair share of anxiety (me), fighting and minor set backs.
First minor issue was, as expected the master front window was rotting. We knew something was wrong as the previously existing drywall had a poorly patched crack from floor to ceiling and as we tore out the carpet the subfloor was discoloured.


My father in-law removed the rotten wood and stucco backing, and cut away any other surrounding soft wood. He then cleaned the area with bleach and water mixture and allowed it to dry. He replaced the missing studs with new 2x4s and reinforced other areas with more cuts for strength. We replaced all the original poly with thicker newer product and cut away excess insulation. Our home is a 2x4 frame so we hoped the thicker poly would help the house retain heat in the cold winter months.
Another thing that was a huge piss off and a forewarning to anyone else is don' t allow your drywaller to primer your walls with this product:

We are not unhappy with this work, just unfortunate he did not know or look into the fact that this is not a paint primer. He offered to prime and sand the new dry wall for me which I was ecstatic about. As I found out later, post painting, this is not meant to be used as a paint base. After I painted the 3 master bedroom walls and bathroom I was prepping the feature wall in the bedroom and the paint was peeling off my walls. This paint had been given 72hr dry time, I was using green tape my in-laws brought over. I have painted feature walls in the past and had used blue tape. I called Dulux (the company I bought the paint from) they offered to give me a roll of yellow frog tape. This tape is meant for new paint and is not so sticky, like the green. I began to test an area with the new tape and, still the paint was peeling off my walls. I researched this product and called the company to be told this is a base for texture, it is not meant for wall application. This is why my paint won't adhere to the base, it is chalky. I told my drywaller what was happening. He said he would come over and check it out (never did) and was shocked as he had done this same technique in the past. I told him what the manufacturing companytold me, that it is not a wall primer, so maybe he will stop doing it. I did not want to sand all the paint off the walls as I was anxious to finish the job (we were 6 months in) and had used 2 gallons of paint already. I bought this contraption from our local home depot, painted the seam with it and hand touched any issues. 


The paint will peel off the wall if you lean something against it etc, so we just have to careful. It still kills me....


Lauren xo




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Reveal

ITS HERE! I have finally gotten to a place with our master bedroom where I can show you some reveal photos and information. Our bedroom is not done yet in my eye, I would like to add in some more decorative accents for sure. Decorate the dresser properly, switch out the night stands at some point etc. But as goes with design its ever evolving, changing, editing and fine tuning. I am so happy how it turned out. When I was designing this space in the beginning I really didn't have a strong vision of what I wanted the room to look like. I just knew how I wanted it to feel, and from there it just came together. I wanted the bedroom to feel calming, cool, yet cozy. I have a hard time sleeping so I do as much as I can to help myself sleep easier. You can read all about the finishes chosen in this previous post. I share everything from paint colour, light fixture, flooring etc. Can we all take a moment of silence for this BEAUTIFUL mirror/art piece. I was luckily enough to...

Master Bath Finishes

Today I am talking all about finishes, what we (me) chose for the master bath reno. This includes everything from paint, tile, lighting, doors and hardware, and bath fixtures. Paint In the bathroom I chose Benjamin Moore's Intense White (OC-51). As I mentioned earlier it was really important for me to keep the bathroom light and as bright as possible since there is no natural light. When you are in the shower or getting ready early morning in the dead of winter when the sun has not come out, you really want to be able to see what you are doing. To accomplish this I chose an off white colour with grey tones to coordinate with the grey undertone of the vanity wood stain, grey colouring in the floor and the marble hex shower tile. The doors and trim colour is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (OC-65) . Tile We purchased our tile from Tile Stone Source ; Snow An was our sale representative. Bathroom Floor: 12X24" matte porcelain tile in Aura Frost Shower Floor: 2"...