Skip to main content

Hot hot hot!

Over this past weekend we underwent a big project for our house. We replaced our old 40 gallon hot water tank for a 50 gallon power vent hot water tank. I will give you a moment to lower your hype. I know! haha.
This was a very exciting project for us, more so Darrel, because this meant we could remove the massive B-vent running through the middle of our house. Getting us one step closer to our open floor plan dreams. What I have been told this difference between the two systems is the original b-vent relies on evaporations/draft to vent out fumes from the hot water tank. And normally they just get reabsorbed into the tank. The power vent has a fan like system that pumps the fumes outside of the house actively, instead of them floating up and outside. I don't think one is better than an other, just a different way of doing it. The nice thing about this new tank is even though it is larger, it uses less BTU's than our previous tank meaning it is more energy efficient, which is always a bonus.
B-Vent

No B-Vent

Luckily for us I have a very handy and willing husband as well as very helpful and knowledgeable in-laws which allowed us to do this project ourselves saving a good chunk of money. It look us most of the day Saturday but by the end of it we have a larger hot water tank and no vent, which made us both very happy.


Isn't it beautiful. Very nice job boys, and as always thank you so very much!
On Monday our contractor and structural engineer came by to check things out so we are well underway having the load-bearing walls removed. Very exciting. Not much going on until then, just more demo and prep for this big job. Stay tuned :)


Lauren xo




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Reveal

ITS HERE! I have finally gotten to a place with our master bedroom where I can show you some reveal photos and information. Our bedroom is not done yet in my eye, I would like to add in some more decorative accents for sure. Decorate the dresser properly, switch out the night stands at some point etc. But as goes with design its ever evolving, changing, editing and fine tuning. I am so happy how it turned out. When I was designing this space in the beginning I really didn't have a strong vision of what I wanted the room to look like. I just knew how I wanted it to feel, and from there it just came together. I wanted the bedroom to feel calming, cool, yet cozy. I have a hard time sleeping so I do as much as I can to help myself sleep easier. You can read all about the finishes chosen in this previous post. I share everything from paint colour, light fixture, flooring etc. Can we all take a moment of silence for this BEAUTIFUL mirror/art piece. I was luckily enough to...

Master Bedroom Drama

We were very fortunate to have very minor issues during the first phase of our renovation. You hearing many horror stories of things going wrong and money hemorrhaging that I'm happy that things went smoothly. Not to say we didn't have our fair share of anxiety (me), fighting and minor set backs. First minor issue was, as expected the master front window was rotting. We knew something was wrong as the previously existing drywall had a poorly patched crack from floor to ceiling and as we tore out the carpet the subfloor was discoloured. My father in-law removed the rotten wood and stucco backing, and cut away any other surrounding soft wood. He then cleaned the area with bleach and water mixture and allowed it to dry. He replaced the missing studs with new 2x4s and reinforced other areas with more cuts for strength. We replaced all the original poly with thicker newer product and cut away excess insulation. Our home is a 2x4 frame so we hoped the thicker poly would help the h...

Master Bath Finishes

Today I am talking all about finishes, what we (me) chose for the master bath reno. This includes everything from paint, tile, lighting, doors and hardware, and bath fixtures. Paint In the bathroom I chose Benjamin Moore's Intense White (OC-51). As I mentioned earlier it was really important for me to keep the bathroom light and as bright as possible since there is no natural light. When you are in the shower or getting ready early morning in the dead of winter when the sun has not come out, you really want to be able to see what you are doing. To accomplish this I chose an off white colour with grey tones to coordinate with the grey undertone of the vanity wood stain, grey colouring in the floor and the marble hex shower tile. The doors and trim colour is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (OC-65) . Tile We purchased our tile from Tile Stone Source ; Snow An was our sale representative. Bathroom Floor: 12X24" matte porcelain tile in Aura Frost Shower Floor: 2"...