Skip to main content

Welcome!

Hello, hello!


Welcome to That's So 70's, a blog following our experience updating our first home that was built in the 1970's. This is a good way to keep all family and friends up-to-date since over the first phase of the renovation. We had many questions seeking up-dates I thought instead of messaging everyone privately this would be easier for people to come and check out what's been going on; view progress pictures and ask questions.
I will start going back in time from house hunting to initial demo then moving forward to current and future projects. The majority of our renovation is DIY to save us money and to really get to know our home and so we can say we did that with pride.
I also want to dabble into my other passions which are interior design, fashion, beauty, and cooking. Apart from home updates this will share life updates and a place for me to throw in some of my creative cravings and an outlet for my thoughts, as I typically have a lot to say.


Thank you for following our journey. I hope this helps and you enjoy it :)
Please comment if I did not answer all of your questions or if something does not make sense to you as I am not a writer (unlike Savanna) and was never that great with grammar.



Lauren xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Reveal

ITS HERE! I have finally gotten to a place with our master bedroom where I can show you some reveal photos and information. Our bedroom is not done yet in my eye, I would like to add in some more decorative accents for sure. Decorate the dresser properly, switch out the night stands at some point etc. But as goes with design its ever evolving, changing, editing and fine tuning. I am so happy how it turned out. When I was designing this space in the beginning I really didn't have a strong vision of what I wanted the room to look like. I just knew how I wanted it to feel, and from there it just came together. I wanted the bedroom to feel calming, cool, yet cozy. I have a hard time sleeping so I do as much as I can to help myself sleep easier. You can read all about the finishes chosen in this previous post. I share everything from paint colour, light fixture, flooring etc. Can we all take a moment of silence for this BEAUTIFUL mirror/art piece. I was luckily enough to...

Master Bedroom Drama

We were very fortunate to have very minor issues during the first phase of our renovation. You hearing many horror stories of things going wrong and money hemorrhaging that I'm happy that things went smoothly. Not to say we didn't have our fair share of anxiety (me), fighting and minor set backs. First minor issue was, as expected the master front window was rotting. We knew something was wrong as the previously existing drywall had a poorly patched crack from floor to ceiling and as we tore out the carpet the subfloor was discoloured. My father in-law removed the rotten wood and stucco backing, and cut away any other surrounding soft wood. He then cleaned the area with bleach and water mixture and allowed it to dry. He replaced the missing studs with new 2x4s and reinforced other areas with more cuts for strength. We replaced all the original poly with thicker newer product and cut away excess insulation. Our home is a 2x4 frame so we hoped the thicker poly would help the h...

Stairs

When we moved into the house I knew I wanted to change a lot of things. The change I felt like would make a big statem would be the stair railing. Stairs can make a big statement on a homes appearance and can be a big focal point. The original railing was very dated, not the look I was going for and not super sturdy feeling. I'm sure it was structurally sound but because it was iron and all welded into one piece, you could shake it and the entire thing would wobble. If I had all of the money I would have LOVED to have a matte black iron railing but the quote I received was wayyyy out of my comfort zone, especially for something that would not add value to the home. We hoped we could DIY this project to save a good chunk of money, but the logistics of a stair railing especially with the eastern style stairs we have with the turn and drop we did not feel comfortable when it is just a big safety feature. I contacted several companies in Edmonton and went with Artis...