Skip to main content

Second Level Hallway Finishes

Before I share the master bathroom reveal (coming Friday) I thought I would continue to share the finishes that we used. Today I am sharing the second floor hallway which is much shorter than the others since there is not too much to share. Currently we have not switched out the rest of the doors on the second level which does look quite odd, but that will be done in time. I was in no rush to switch out the door as the existing doors were completely functional. By doing this we saved some dollars at the present time since we were at the end of the project and didn't want to keep spending.


Paint
The walls are Benjamin Moore Gray Owl (OC-52) 50% lightened while the trim is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (OC-65).



Flooring
The floor that is now throughout the second level and will continue down to the main is a luxury vinyl. I was told about this kind of floor from my sister-in-law, her parents had this type of flooring in their home. I researched the product and like the fact that it was waterproof, durable, and affordable. Unlike laminate vinyl is waterproof and have a subfloor built in. The product we choose have a texture to the material to help mimic the wood effect. We chose our floor from Home Depot and settled with Lifeproof Valley Wood. I liked the colouring of this floor and thought it would not show dirty and dust as much as other colour options. I feel like the pictures on the website to not accurately depict what the floor actually looks like.


Doors, Trim, and Hardware
From recommendation and after receiving several product quotes we chose Fancy Doors and Mouldings for out interior doors, baseboard, casing, and hardware. Surprisingly to me Darrel had a strong opinion on what door style he liked. We decided to go with a 2-panel door with oil rubbed bronze hardware. The door levers are by Weiser and in the style Halifax SQ. The baseboards are a 4"x1.5" MDF, casing is 3.5" x 11/16" MDF and the headers in the main hallway are 4" x 1". This allows a "reveal" when the different depths meet. 

Lighting:
Hallway:
The upstairs hallway light is from Wayfair while the pendant is from Home Depot. The pendant was not long enough when we did a dry fit during install. Luckily the bedroom light also had an option for it to hang as a pendant and I had kept the extension rods. Darrel rewired the lamp with a longer electrical wire, added on the extra rods and voila! PERFETION!
Birmingham La Grange 1-Light Semi Flush Mounthttps://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4-light-pendant-light-fixture-in-oil-rubbed-bronze.1000837072.html
Guest Bedrooms:
We have not done much with the guest bedrooms as of yet. We moved the light into the center of the rooms. They used to be in the corner by the closet. Updated the fixture and installed a header in the closet space to one day we can have a bi-fold door. There used to be double sliding doors (which we hate). Eventually we will finish  these rooms off. Currently no rush.


Lauren xo






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The latest update

July has been jam packed with progress. The house has completely transformed since the beginning of the month and is really starting to look like a proper house again! July 4th drywall began throughout the main level. This was very exciting for us. Drywall really changes the space. You can really start to get a good idea on how the space is going to turn out. We have a proper ceiling now haha! The following week muddying and taping began followed by priming and the ceiling texture. This meant we could finally install the kitchen cabinets!  They went up faster than Darrel anticipated. Unfortunately the instructions for install were not very good. Luckily we have Darrel's Uncle, and the continued helped from the best father-in-law come to help. THANK YOU IAN!!!     It look beautiful already. This week is also jam pack with the tiling starting Tuesday and counter tops being installed Thursday. Which mean, I will have a functioning kitchen by the

About Us

Before I divulge into our home buying process I thought I would give you a quick blurb about us and our background. Incase you did not know. Which most of you do.... I work as an administrative assistant in health care. This job is great for my need to want to help others and allows me to be super OCD, organized, and at times bossy, however lacks creativity. I remember always loving interior design. As a child, like 8 years old or something one of my favorite TV channels were HGTV. I loved watching TLC's Trading Spaces, House to Home, and Debbie Travis' Facelift. I remember writing to interior design and host House to Home telling her how much I loved her show and how I wanted to be an interior designer just like her. Which is still true. I feel like I am a very practical/logistical person. If being and interior designer was a guaranteed good earning job I would be all over that. Along with being terrible at math is a bit of a set back as you need the highest high scho

Hot hot hot!

Over this past weekend we underwent a big project for our house. We replaced our old 40 gallon hot water tank for a 50 gallon power vent hot water tank. I will give you a moment to lower your hype. I know! haha. This was a very exciting project for us, more so Darrel, because this meant we could remove the massive B-vent running through the middle of our house. Getting us one step closer to our open floor plan dreams. What I have been told this difference between the two systems is the original b-vent relies on evaporations/draft to vent out fumes from the hot water tank. And normally they just get reabsorbed into the tank. The power vent has a fan like system that pumps the fumes outside of the house actively, instead of them floating up and outside. I don't think one is better than an other, just a different way of doing it. The nice thing about this new tank is even though it is larger, it uses less BTU's than our previous tank meaning it is more energy efficient, which is