Skip to main content

Master Bedroom Finishes

Today I share everything that we(me) chose for the master bedroom finishes. This includes everything from paint, flooring, lighting, doors and hardware, etc.


Paint
3 of the bedroom walls I painted with Benjamin Moore's Genesis White (2134-70) and for the feature wall I painted a Dulux colour called Silver Blueberry (DLX1163-5) 50% lightened.  I found it a little difficult to find a feature wall colour I liked. I wanted the colours to coordinate with our bedspread but I didn't want the feature wall to be TOO dark. I really didn't want a drastic colour difference I wanted everything to blend smoothly together to keep the design cohesive and continue with the calming vibe. The doors and trim colour is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (OC-65).


Flooring
The floor that is now throughout the second level and will continue down to the main is a luxury vinyl. I was told about this kind of floor from my sister-in-law, her parents had this type of flooring in their home. I researched the product and like the fact that it was waterproof, durable, and affordable. Unlike laminate vinyl is waterproof and has a subfloor built in. The product we choose has a texture to the material to help mimic the wood effect. We chose our floor from Home Depot called Lifeproof Valley Wood. I liked the colouring of this floor and thought it would not show dirt and dust as much as other colour options. I feel like the pictures on the website to not accurately depict what the floor actually looks like, and neither does the picture above, but its a bit closer.
Doors, Trim, and Hardware
From recommendation and after receiving several product quotes we chose Fancy Doors and Mouldings for out interior doors, baseboard, casing, and hardware. Surprisingly to me Darrel had a strong opinion on what door style he liked. We decided to go with a 2-panel door with oil rubbed bronze hardware. The door levers are by Weiser and in the style Halifax SQ. The baseboards are a 4" x 1/2" and casing is 3.5" x 11/16". This allows a reveal between the two meeting points of baseboard and casing as the casing is slightly thicker than the baseboard.
Lighting
I found choosing a light fixture for the bedroom to be difficult. I found it difficult to find a fixture that went with my design but also wasn't extremely expensive. I was so unaware how expensive lights can be, holy moly! I chose this light from Home Depot as it wasn't extraordinarily expensive like others I was seeing, it went along with the oil rubbed bronze finishing and it was a bit more dramatic. I didn't want a standard flush mount I wanted something with a bit more weight to it. I would have LOVED to get a beaded chandelier but we do not have the ceiling height for that sort of light, and they are wayyyy out of the price range I was comfortable spending on lighting.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.ratio-collection-3-light-antique-bronze-semi-flushmount.1001038985.html
Recessed lights for the other side of the room was a lucky find for us we found an option that were insulation and remodel rated that had an adjustment switch in the housing that could chance from 3000-4000-5000k. We decided to have these lights dimmable as if someone comes home late they could turn on half the bedroom lights on dim so the other person does not wake up. Again, all lighting is LED for energy efficiency and a higher life expectancy.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4-inch-recessed-round-led-panel-light-with-integrated-color-select-3000k-4000k-or-5000k-white-finish.1001063504.html
Area Rug
This gorgeous rug I found on Wayfair under Laurel Foundry Modern Farmhouse brand. I have found a lot of items I like from this brand....future buys? I ordered this rug on sale in the 8'x10' it fits perfectly with the space, luckily because I bought this rug before I chose paint colours haha. Only thing that kind of sucks is because the bed is taking up the majority of the rug, you miss a lot of the distressing/design detail. But I still love it.
Abbeville Grey/Dark Blue Area Rug
Wardrobe
After taking over the 3rd bedroom the preexisting closet I felt was too small for both of us. We struggled with the ideas as to how to use the existing closet but also have more closet space. We consider and were kind of stuck with the idea for a while of building a walk in closet space in the old bedroom, but in the end liked the idea of having a PAX wardrobe best. We were fortunate enough that we bought our unit while it was on the Wardrobe Event so we saved 15%, whoop whoop! We got 2 200.0 cm x 60.0 cm x 201.2 cm white frames with the Tyssedal door style, also in white. The door pulls are the same as the vanity. Darrel and his dad built the wardrobe up on a base so it would look built in. They built it 1/2" off the ground so the baseboard could cover the bottom.
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S69096000/#/S49127564
                                        


Lauren xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The latest update

July has been jam packed with progress. The house has completely transformed since the beginning of the month and is really starting to look like a proper house again! July 4th drywall began throughout the main level. This was very exciting for us. Drywall really changes the space. You can really start to get a good idea on how the space is going to turn out. We have a proper ceiling now haha! The following week muddying and taping began followed by priming and the ceiling texture. This meant we could finally install the kitchen cabinets!  They went up faster than Darrel anticipated. Unfortunately the instructions for install were not very good. Luckily we have Darrel's Uncle, and the continued helped from the best father-in-law come to help. THANK YOU IAN!!!     It look beautiful already. This week is also jam pack with the tiling starting Tuesday and counter tops being installed Thursday. Which mean, I will have a functioning kitchen by the

About Us

Before I divulge into our home buying process I thought I would give you a quick blurb about us and our background. Incase you did not know. Which most of you do.... I work as an administrative assistant in health care. This job is great for my need to want to help others and allows me to be super OCD, organized, and at times bossy, however lacks creativity. I remember always loving interior design. As a child, like 8 years old or something one of my favorite TV channels were HGTV. I loved watching TLC's Trading Spaces, House to Home, and Debbie Travis' Facelift. I remember writing to interior design and host House to Home telling her how much I loved her show and how I wanted to be an interior designer just like her. Which is still true. I feel like I am a very practical/logistical person. If being and interior designer was a guaranteed good earning job I would be all over that. Along with being terrible at math is a bit of a set back as you need the highest high scho

Hot hot hot!

Over this past weekend we underwent a big project for our house. We replaced our old 40 gallon hot water tank for a 50 gallon power vent hot water tank. I will give you a moment to lower your hype. I know! haha. This was a very exciting project for us, more so Darrel, because this meant we could remove the massive B-vent running through the middle of our house. Getting us one step closer to our open floor plan dreams. What I have been told this difference between the two systems is the original b-vent relies on evaporations/draft to vent out fumes from the hot water tank. And normally they just get reabsorbed into the tank. The power vent has a fan like system that pumps the fumes outside of the house actively, instead of them floating up and outside. I don't think one is better than an other, just a different way of doing it. The nice thing about this new tank is even though it is larger, it uses less BTU's than our previous tank meaning it is more energy efficient, which is