Skip to main content

Master Bath Finishes

Today I am talking all about finishes, what we (me) chose for the master bath reno. This includes everything from paint, tile, lighting, doors and hardware, and bath fixtures.


Paint
In the bathroom I chose Benjamin Moore's Intense White (OC-51). As I mentioned earlier it was really important for me to keep the bathroom light and as bright as possible since there is no natural light. When you are in the shower or getting ready early morning in the dead of winter when the sun has not come out, you really want to be able to see what you are doing. To accomplish this I chose an off white colour with grey tones to coordinate with the grey undertone of the vanity wood stain, grey colouring in the floor and the marble hex shower tile. The doors and trim colour is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace (OC-65).

Tile
We purchased our tile from Tile Stone Source; Snow An was our sale representative.
Bathroom Floor:
12X24" matte porcelain tile in Aura Frost

Shower Floor:
2" hex Bianco Carrera marble
https://tilestonesource.com/product/bianco-cascia-2-hexagon/
Shower Walls:
4x16" matte white subway tile
Soho White 4 x 16 ceramic tile


Vanity
We went to DIY Cabinet Warehouse and chose the Lexington door style in, as pictured below with Alder wood and stained in Winter. DIY are a distributor for KitchenCraft Cabinetry. We were recommended this company by Darrel's Aunt and Uncle who re-did their kitchen using DIY. The nice thing is this company only supply the cabinetry and aid in design/layout, you need to install yourself. This saves money since you are not paying a kitchen designer to come into your home create a layout and have a team to install for you.
We were warned that Alder is a softer wood but I loved how it have the knots in the wood, the imperfections were more visible. I did not like the look of a wood like Maples as I thought it was too perfect, almost looked fake to me. They did say if a knot in the wood is too big it would be filled in, which I was good with. I wanted it to look more rustic.
I got the pulls from Home Depot as well, they are a brushed nickel finish. I wanted chrome but this style didn't have that option, which I thought could be a good thing as maybe having chrome pulls may show hand prints a lot more...?
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.pack-5-contemporary-metal-handle-pulls-3-2532-in-96-mm-ctoc-brushed-nickel-washington-collection.1000816085.html
Counter Top
After a lot of research I chose to use quartz in our bathroom. I have read that quartz is the strongest, non-porous and stain resistant unlike material such as granite or marble. I like the look or marble but can really not be bothered with be precious with it, this is why I like quartz.
We worked with River Bend Stone Works and were lucky to find a remnant piece for our vanity. Using a remnant stone saves  money as it is a leftover piece from another customers project, like a kitchen. We went into the shop and were shown 2 options they had available at the time and chose:
Doors, Trim, and Hardware
From recommendation and after receiving several product quotes we chose Fancy Doors and Mouldings for out interior doors, baseboard, casing, and hardware. Surprisingly to me Darrel had a strong opinion on what door style he liked. We decided to go with a 2-panel door with oil rubbed bronze hardware. The door levers are by Weiser and in the style Halifax SQ. The baseboards are a MDF 4" x 1/2" and casing is MDF 3.5" x 11/16". The casing is a smaller depth to allow a reveal between the two meeting points of the baseboard and casing.
Lighting
I purchased the vanity lighting from Wayfair while the recessed lights were from our local Home Depot. Lighting was a big learning experience for me as I had to learn what kind of categories to search for and what was safe and allowed to be installed. The bathroom over the shower needs a UL rating for wet, and since this is in the roof they also need to be insulation rated and not new build. The difficulty I found with the lighting in the shower is I could not find a UL rating for wet, insulation contact , and remodel rated that was also in the bright white colour family. We chose to go with LED lighting with all our lighting choice for energy efficiency and  The vanity light was not as difficult, damp rated and dimmable.
Vanity:
Kendrick 5-Piece 3-Light Vanity Light Set
Recessed:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4-inch-led-white-recessed-kit.1001012336.html

Shower Fixtures and Sinks
I knew from the beginning I want a rectangular under mount sink. I prefer the look, I think it's more modern, I also like how there is not a real seam between sink and countertop making it easier to clean or to swipe something into the basin. We got the Verticyl Undermount from Kohler and luckily purchased it when it was on a sale at Lowes.

The two hand faucets are by Moen in the style Danika, in a chrome finish and purchased from Home Depot. All bathroom finishes are chrome as I felt like this would be more timeless than a matte black. We did not put the deckplate on the faucet when installing as we felt like it looked best without.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.danika-chrome-one-handle-high-arc-bathroom-faucet.1000668766.html
For the shower I chose the Moen T3292 Align Moentrol Shower Only, I ordered this off Amazon as it was the cheapest option available at the time. The coordinating valve was a lot for expensive than I ever thought it would be, so that was a big realization. I really loved this shower fixture, I loved the modern and sleek look of the fixture and thought it would be great with the attempt of a modern farmhouse aesthetic. I also really loved the large shower head, there is a smaller showerhead option in the Align family but I preferred the look of the large with out large sized shower, and fact that more water would cover you.
https://www.amazon.ca/Moen-T3292-Moentrol-Shower-Chrome/dp/B00IJHNQJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539639588&sr=8-2&keywords=Align+Chrome+Moentrol+shower&dpID=41GEnH4IU9L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
The glass shower door was made by TopShelf Closet and Glass.
Toilet was purchased from Home Depot and was chosen for its 4.8L/efficient 1.28 gallons per flush, it is the American Standard Cadet 3.







Lauren xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The latest update

July has been jam packed with progress. The house has completely transformed since the beginning of the month and is really starting to look like a proper house again! July 4th drywall began throughout the main level. This was very exciting for us. Drywall really changes the space. You can really start to get a good idea on how the space is going to turn out. We have a proper ceiling now haha! The following week muddying and taping began followed by priming and the ceiling texture. This meant we could finally install the kitchen cabinets!  They went up faster than Darrel anticipated. Unfortunately the instructions for install were not very good. Luckily we have Darrel's Uncle, and the continued helped from the best father-in-law come to help. THANK YOU IAN!!!     It look beautiful already. This week is also jam pack with the tiling starting Tuesday and counter tops being installed Thursday. Which mean, I will have a functioning kitchen by the

About Us

Before I divulge into our home buying process I thought I would give you a quick blurb about us and our background. Incase you did not know. Which most of you do.... I work as an administrative assistant in health care. This job is great for my need to want to help others and allows me to be super OCD, organized, and at times bossy, however lacks creativity. I remember always loving interior design. As a child, like 8 years old or something one of my favorite TV channels were HGTV. I loved watching TLC's Trading Spaces, House to Home, and Debbie Travis' Facelift. I remember writing to interior design and host House to Home telling her how much I loved her show and how I wanted to be an interior designer just like her. Which is still true. I feel like I am a very practical/logistical person. If being and interior designer was a guaranteed good earning job I would be all over that. Along with being terrible at math is a bit of a set back as you need the highest high scho

Hot hot hot!

Over this past weekend we underwent a big project for our house. We replaced our old 40 gallon hot water tank for a 50 gallon power vent hot water tank. I will give you a moment to lower your hype. I know! haha. This was a very exciting project for us, more so Darrel, because this meant we could remove the massive B-vent running through the middle of our house. Getting us one step closer to our open floor plan dreams. What I have been told this difference between the two systems is the original b-vent relies on evaporations/draft to vent out fumes from the hot water tank. And normally they just get reabsorbed into the tank. The power vent has a fan like system that pumps the fumes outside of the house actively, instead of them floating up and outside. I don't think one is better than an other, just a different way of doing it. The nice thing about this new tank is even though it is larger, it uses less BTU's than our previous tank meaning it is more energy efficient, which is