Skip to main content

Building Complete!

Its been a while since my last update. I have been sharing small feats on our instagram page (@thatsso70sblog) so this post will be a wrap up of the last several months as we have completed the building phase of the reno.
We finished the electrical work; adding brand new lighting in the living spaces, changes to the lighting plan for the new kitchen layout, adjust everything that comes with those changes and personalizing our electrical needs for the spaces we are planning.
We have also framed in the steel beam, created the new pantry, and edited the utility closet.

In May we demoed the remaining kitchen and have been living with a make shift sink, oven in the middle of the dining room and only having a folding table for counter-space. Its been....interesting....


Following this we had to rip out a thin layer of plywood and 3 layers of linoleum from the kitchen/back entry. This job, this job was definitely the most grueling/physically demanding. I would happily take scraping popcorn ceiling over prying off flooring any day.
They added in the extra layer of plywood to level out the flooring as the rest of the house was carpeted. Then over the years when they were wanting to change flooring, they just installed new linoleum on-top of the old.


We then removed the window in the what I'm guessing was the casual dining space so we could frame in the new pantry.





We have since moved our dining room/"kitchen" into the basement, disconnected the sink and stove, and moved the fridge off the wall so the drywall could be hung. I would say this step has been the hardest as we cannot cook for the days the drywaller's are working.
Currently the timeline is to install the kitchen cabinets the weekend of July 20th as we are scheduled to have the counter-tops installed on the 24th.
Fingers crossed everyone that we can stick to this timeline, as I would very much like to have a functioning kitchen by the end of the month.

At this time I would like to shout off the rooftops a GIGANTIC thank you to my father-in-law. He has been coming over basically every weekend, working all day with Darrel to have our house at the state it is in. We literally could not have been able to be at this stage at this time without your hard work and help. So, again thank you 💗

Lauren xox








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The latest update

July has been jam packed with progress. The house has completely transformed since the beginning of the month and is really starting to look like a proper house again! July 4th drywall began throughout the main level. This was very exciting for us. Drywall really changes the space. You can really start to get a good idea on how the space is going to turn out. We have a proper ceiling now haha! The following week muddying and taping began followed by priming and the ceiling texture. This meant we could finally install the kitchen cabinets!  They went up faster than Darrel anticipated. Unfortunately the instructions for install were not very good. Luckily we have Darrel's Uncle, and the continued helped from the best father-in-law come to help. THANK YOU IAN!!!     It look beautiful already. This week is also jam pack with the tiling starting Tuesday and counter tops being installed Thursday. Which mean, I will have a functioning kitchen by the

Hot hot hot!

Over this past weekend we underwent a big project for our house. We replaced our old 40 gallon hot water tank for a 50 gallon power vent hot water tank. I will give you a moment to lower your hype. I know! haha. This was a very exciting project for us, more so Darrel, because this meant we could remove the massive B-vent running through the middle of our house. Getting us one step closer to our open floor plan dreams. What I have been told this difference between the two systems is the original b-vent relies on evaporations/draft to vent out fumes from the hot water tank. And normally they just get reabsorbed into the tank. The power vent has a fan like system that pumps the fumes outside of the house actively, instead of them floating up and outside. I don't think one is better than an other, just a different way of doing it. The nice thing about this new tank is even though it is larger, it uses less BTU's than our previous tank meaning it is more energy efficient, which is

About Us

Before I divulge into our home buying process I thought I would give you a quick blurb about us and our background. Incase you did not know. Which most of you do.... I work as an administrative assistant in health care. This job is great for my need to want to help others and allows me to be super OCD, organized, and at times bossy, however lacks creativity. I remember always loving interior design. As a child, like 8 years old or something one of my favorite TV channels were HGTV. I loved watching TLC's Trading Spaces, House to Home, and Debbie Travis' Facelift. I remember writing to interior design and host House to Home telling her how much I loved her show and how I wanted to be an interior designer just like her. Which is still true. I feel like I am a very practical/logistical person. If being and interior designer was a guaranteed good earning job I would be all over that. Along with being terrible at math is a bit of a set back as you need the highest high scho